2010 to Present
There are six key elements featured in the designs of the logo:
* The year the Club was established - 1935
* The CB logo that represents where we were established was worn for 38 years (from 1935 to 1972)
* The Bulldog Logo that represents the living creature from which we are names which was worn for 24 years (from 1973 to 1996)
* The Blue V's design that was the design of our jersey for 44 years (from 1963 to 1969, 1973 to present)
* The Shield represent a symbol of strong cover for when one attacks or defends as well as that of solidarity and structure
* The word mark is clean, crisp and fresh; reflecting the values of the club especially responsible and trustworthy.
The new logo was officially commissioned into use on November 2009.
70 Years - 2004
To celebrate the club's 70th year in the premiership in season 2004, a commemorative logo was released featuring both the current logo and the original 'CB' embroidery.
Before fittingly winning the title in October, the Bulldogs sported a replica of the original Berries strip from 1935 as they lined up against the Penrith Panthers at Telstra Stadium. The 'Dogs produced a vintage display as they defeated the reigning premiers 46-20 in front of 21,644 fans on Friday July 30, 2004.
On the left chest of the jersey sat the commemorative logo, reading: '1935-2004 70 YEARS PROUD'. All logos are located on the left hand side of a jersey as it is close to the heart.
The logo was again used four weeks later when the Bulldogs faced off with Newcastle at Telstra Stadium on August 27, 2004. Just like they had a month earlier against Penrith, the Bulldogs put together a damaging performance as they came away 52-6 winners.
1998 to 1999
When the NRL was formed in 1998, the club opted for a change of logos to present a new modern image moving forward. There were two issues that forced this decision;
1) The Bulldog logo was claimed to be the intellectual property of the ARL.
2) The demands of meeting the NRL Rationalisation Criteria before the year 2000 meant that the club needed to be pro-active in making sure that all marketing opportunities were realised.
The change in jersey and new logo presented a modernised image which proved to be successful. In 2000, the club changed the name to the Bulldogs in an attempt to broaden the supporter base.
The Bulldogs enjoyed the success of maintaining the traditional supporter base from within the Canterbury-Bankstown district while building an expansive supporter base by playing in Sydney's leading sporting arena, the Telstra Stadium at Homebush.
1978 to 1996
The transition from 'Berries' to 'Bulldogs' in 1978 was simply a case of necessity. Canterbury and Newtown were the only clubs without an animal for their emblem. Even the relatively new clubs, Cronulla and Penrith were known respectively as the Sharks and the Panthers.
To determine the emblem, the club went to its supporters and undertook their own market test. The most popular name without question was 'The Bulldogs'. From the start of 1978, the 'Berries' were dead and buried.
The Bulldogs seemed the perfect solution. Like Manly in the late 1960s when they changed their emblem from the seagull to the more aggressive sea eagle, the switch was to coincide with premiership victories for both clubs. For the supporters, the famous Bulldogs chant developed into an institution which would spur the players on when heard from the grandstand. It was time for the players to dig deep and take control of the game.
In 1995 the club was known as the Sydney Bulldogs when they moved their home matches to Parramatta Stadium. This was a marketing strategy to broaden the Bulldog boundaries in the first season of the national competition.
1935 to 1977
The inaugural emblem in 1935 was a 'CB' inside a blue shield, and emblem which represented 'Canterbury-Bankstown'.
In the club's early days, references in Rugby League programs and newspapers were many and varied. On May 6, 1935, the Rugby League News headed its story: "St George v See-Bees". The story explained: "Some of the Hillites have already shortened Canterbury-Bankstown club's title to the more easy to handle one of 'See-Bees'."
On May 11, there was reference in the same program to the 'Berries'. Canterbury were also known as the 'C-Bs' and the 'Cantabs', the latter reference coming from the club itself in its chatter column in Rugby League News.
Even in 1942, the club persisted with the title 'Cantabs', again in their weekly chatter column. "Cantabs' are all gleeful at the fact that they have won their second premiership in eight years as a district club, which is a fine achievement," said the report.
In 1936, however, the club earned the somewhat derisive title of 'country bumpkins' because of their buying spree in the country at the start of the season. The game had rarely seen such an intense buying drive, and it took Canterbury to the semi-finals.
But it was obvious in 1940, as the 'country bumpkins' title wore thin and became outdated that Canterbury was still searching for an identity. In the midst of references such as 'Cantabs', 'Berries' and 'See-Bees,' came a new one, 'Canter-Banks'.
It wasn't until the club moved well into the 1940s that Canterbury began to be known more and more as the Berries, derived so obviously from the name of the club Canter(bury). One can imagine how difficult it would have been to come to grips with 'Buries'. The spelling was simply poetic licence. It had nothing to do with stoneless fruit, or the like.
But 'Berries' ran off the tongue easily and it was a recognisable catchcry at matches. By the end of 1977, however, the modern game, with its ripe marketing opportunities for licenced characters and merchandising virtually insisted on a link with an animal.
The logo varied between 1935-1977, however the changes were only minor - such as colour reversal and slight alterations to the text used for 'CB'.